Thursday, January 9, 2014

Rose Apple Tarts for the Criminaly Insane



Yes you read that correctly. If you are freaking nuts then you want to make this ...tart? Apple confection? Rose structure? However you want to try to work it out in your brain, you are bat ...crazy for making this. Or like me, you love a challenge!

Click the link under the picture and it gives directions on how to make this. Now I am sorry for my lack of photos, but I hadn't thought of this blog when I was making it so the only pictures I have are the outcome, which you will see once you read all this crap.

Now for the first part of it...you slice a crap ton of apples. The easiest way to do this is by using a mandala. I borrowed one from the in-laws, a nice one. With the one I used...I actually think that anyone that cuts themselves using a mandala must be an idiot. Sorry if I offend 99% of everyone who reads my blog, but come on. Just make sure your fingers...um AREN'T in it before you slide it. Seemed simple. Ten apples and completely non sliced fingers later I got to making the goo as I call it. Pretty much the mixture the apples will be in. When you first do this, taste an apple. O MY GOODNESS! Heaven in your mouth, I swear. The crispness of the apples plus the sugar, etc., is amazing. Then you think you can start curling your apple pieces because they are as thin as they come.

This is the point when you realize you're wrong. Just saying. You need to microwave just like the recipe suggests. Only for about 20-30 seconds, anymore and you've just ruined all your wonderful thinly sliced apples. At this point you cannot just curl the first portion with your fingers and set it down. It will unravel. Let me repeat that. No screw that, you can read. Anyway, you need to do the first couple of rows while you hold it in your hands in place. This is only slightly tricky. Really, sounds harder than it is. When you have a rose bud you can set it down and it should stay put. Then you just set down apple slices around it in varying sides, making a rose. It is very easy...not. 

It started kind of easy until you realize that even after microwaving...some apple slices will not cooperate. You then realize that you are going incredibly slowly. While you are taking your time you notice that some of your apples are falling apart. What the heck? Yep...that's right. If those apples stay together too long without you using them, they start to fall apart. Don't ask me why, I have no earthly idea. I'm sure someone could tell you. But that's not me. So you actually can't take your time, unless you intend on wasting a fourth of your apples, which I actually did. I also ended up eating a bunch of the ruined pieces. I no longer like apples. I kid you not. Don't do eat them, you will stop liking apples too. I'm actually  hoping the not liking apple thing will go away...but so far, three months later, it hasn't. 

So after you make your roses in your prospective pans, you drizzle with sugar, brown sugar, and spices and stick in your oven. This is fairly easy and as long as you watch, you'll know by the color when it's done. Just trust me on that. 

This is what it came out like for me - two separate pie pans, way too many freaking roses.  

Before


After


Ok So it turns out that presentation is ACTUALLY important. If I ever did this again and managed not to kill myself in the process, I would buy a pretty pan like the original poster did. I would also not buy store ready made crust that doesn't bend to my will. But all in all, look that those roses! What damn fine roses if I say so myself. Took hours. Hours. Days. Years. Took forever. 
But ... it look so pretty! And it was amazing. Tasted like apple pie well except better, since I made it. 

So moral of the story. This (if you actually make it well) will blow away your relatives. No one wanted to eat it because it looked so pretty, but when they did it was gone in a second. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 on the directions. A four because she said it was easy. Boo!
I give it a 5 out 5 on taste. Nothing can go wrong with that amount of sugar. 
I give mine a 2 out of 5 on presentation. Yes, yes roses are gorgeous but that's it. 
Finally on a lifetime scale of me making it again...I give it a 2% chance. Maybe when I'm fifty.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment